I live in beautiful Nelson, British Columbia nestled in the Selkirk Mountains.
When I’m not interfacing with various web development languages, API's and libraries, I’m a musician, an avid adventure cyclist, and a dad to my sassy daughter. I love pretty much any activity that requires a little suffering outdoors to make me feel alive.
Fresh out of high school I had no plans. I worked for awhile and realized I wanted to do more work outside. The natural choice was to attend a school dedicated to natural resource education which landed me in Lindsay, Ontario. My original plans changed as I entered my second semester at Sir Sandford Fleming College. My naive plans to save the world were given a serious reality check when I realized what made our Canadian economy tick.
After years of working in the silviculture branch of forestry I felt I needed a change. I relocated to the West Kootenays to attend school and that landed me at Selkirk College where I studied Computer Information Systems which led to my first IT job as a webmaster for Kaslo Info Net and later landed me a job with the British Columbia Provincial Government using Geographic Information Systems for analysis of resource based problems.
Nestled in the mountains of British Columbia, Canada I decided to learn a wide range of topics about computer information systems. My favourite courses were fourth generation languages, my object oriented programming classes, web development, databases and my project classes.
Once upon a time I wanted to be a biologist, move the Yukon and study the Canadian Lynx (Lynx canadensis). I ended up taking a different route and this is where I learned a great deal about resource extraction and management, ecosystem dynamics and an introduction to GIS (Geographic Information Systems).
• Provide training and guidance to other staff on the use of GIS software and applications. • Verify and check input data to ensure continuity, integrity and compliance with standards. • Create and maintain spatial and attribute databases used in Geographic Information System (GIS) applications. • Populate, update and maintain linkages between databases as information becomes available.
• Maintained full stack GIS web mapping and reporting application. • Contributed to internal electronic documentation (wiki) for developers and users. • Produced spatial products, terrain models, graphics, and descriptive statistics.
• Providing web development, design and maintenance to small and medium sized businesses. • IT and web consulting. • Computer maintenance, repairs and upgrades.
• Researched, recommended and implemented full stack web map application. • Compiled, managed, and digitized source information to create various data products.
• Presented web mapping content at GIS hackathon. • Conducted and automated complex analysis through advanced python scripting and model builder. • Created automated mapping tool for use by clients. • Refactored corporate Python scripts.
• Maintaining the recreation resources inventory and ensured recreational database integrity. • Fostered and maintained links with recreation partners for efficient maintenance of sites and trails. • Provided advice regarding program purchases to carry out maintenance program. • Monitored and managed contracts, received and confirmed goods and services, and certified release of payment on satisfactory performance. • Managed budget and acted as spending authority for purchasing supplies, materials, and contracted services. • Reviewed financial records of managing partners.
• Conducted advanced analysis on a variety of complex planning issues and decision making projects. • Lead technical projects to support research and planning activities. • Conceptualized, designed and developed advanced analysis integrating data from a diverse range of sources. • Adhered to data management policies, procedures, systems and standards. • Coordinated and managed various projects and contracts for clients. • Created and managed metadata for the BC government corporate metadata system for geographic data. • Planned and used resources to meet operational requirements for the successful delivery of projects. • Planned, organized and implemented GIS training sessions for clients and staff.
~ Backed up web server on a daily basis. ~ Updated existing websites for non-profit groups ~ Designed and created websites using straight HTML. ~ Created front end web application for Kootenay Lake B&B members. ~ Supervised and delegated tasks to two employees.
I've spent the majority of my career with the BC public service working in the Geographic Information Systems world.
My background as a webmaster and hobby doing web development as led me to having a freelance business outside of my day job. I combine my GIS and web development skills to create web sites and interactive web maps with expertise in back end web development.